Sunday, January 1, 2012

Friends


"Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold." 

How many of you recognize this song?  I learned it in Girl Scouts a long time ago, but just like the lessons we learned in kindergarten, the message of this song holds true throughout our lives.  Both groups contribute to who we are and also who we have become.

I consider myself blessed to have friends from elementary, middle, and high school who have remained in my life.  I find myself lucky to have been reconnected to even more of them from vehicles such as Facebook.  In addition, some peers who were only acquaintances back then have become more.  These friends offer a link to my past; holding memories that bring me back to my youth.  Some events I remember, some I don't, and some I begin to after hearing the story and say, 'oh yeah, I totally forgot about that'.  If someone produces a photo I have never seen from my past, that is such a special treasure.

As we continue through our lives, we meet more people.  We are blessed that some of them become close friends.  I value these friendships for a very special, but different reason. These 'new' friends see me as the adult, mother, wife, co-worker, and neighbor I have become.  They know me for the adult choices I make and the grown-up things I do.  Our friendships are built upon daily celebrations and struggles.  They are sometimes my check of reality.

Blending the groups of friends is always interesting.  Having a party or gathering with both groups allows me to stand back and hear things like, 'I didn't know that about Linda', as your friends discuss you in the third person in your presence.  Listening to these comments can be comical, eye opening, embarrassing, sentimental, or leave me beaming inside about myself.  Friends should definitely hold that latter quality.

Friends are so important to me.  So as I begin the new year, I vow to make even more new friends while keeping the old...

If you are interested in the lyrics to the rest of the song...

Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
the other is gold. 

A circle is round,
it has no end.
That's how long,
I will be your friend.

A fire burns bright,
it warms the heart.
We've been friends,
from the very start.

You have one hand,
I have the other.
Put them together,
We have each other.

Silver is precious,
Gold is too.
I am precious,
and so are you.

You help me,
and I'll help you
and together
we will see it through.

The sky is blue
The Earth is green
I can help
to keep it clean

Across the land
Across the sea
Friends forever
We will always be

Thank you friend, for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment