Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stop Signs

When you are driving and approach a stop sign, do you come to a complete stop as required by law every single time or do you sometimes just slow down and roll through?

According to the CT Driver’s Manual Chapter 5, you must come to a complete stop and hopefully you do.   But some people interpret this sign to be ‘stop if you need to’ or ‘stop if a cop is around’.   I am sure you are all familiar with a maneuver out there that some call the ‘rolling stop’, where you slow down but don’t completely stop.

Most situations call for full stops where it is obvious that you need to do just that, so you don’t give it much extra thought.  But what about other times?  Could there be exceptions?  Say for example it is late at night, with clear weather conditions, great visibility, no cars or headlights to be seen, no wildlife crossing the road, and you approach a stop sign.  Or, what about in your quiet little neighborhood during a time of day where no one is out and about?  There is a stop sign at the end of your street, leading to the next quiet little street.  Complete stop or rolling stop? 

The Driver’s Manual is clear in that the rolling stop can get you a ticket.  Police may remind you that it is dangerous because other cars or pedestrians will assume you are stopping and act accordingly.  There would be no use pointing out that there are no other cars or pedestrians anywhere in sight; that would probably not work in your favor. 

Would love to hear your thoughts if you are a stopper or roller...





9 comments:

  1. I sometimes roll when I'm talking or texting. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually thinking of doing a post on this exact topic. If I can see that no cars are around then I will roll through and I don't think that rolling is that bad because I am going a speed that if something were to pop up I would be able to stop or move out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I don't think so as long as you have thoroughly checked for racoons crossing...Adam, I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a teenager we called them California stops - not sure why. I was in Illinois and had no reason to deride Californians. Now that I have two teen drivers I'm much more aware of my own habits but I still reserve the right to a California stop when driving the rural backroads of the the county where I learned to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a big problem with Stop signs on straightaways...
    What happened to "Yield" signs ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm an occasional roller...I've paid the state of MA once for that pleasure.:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even slow down. You always did do everything you were told, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, I never said if I was a roller or a stopper... Hey, check out today's post...you are in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we lived in PA many stop signs had an additional sign underneath that said something like, "Do not stop if turning right." I loved it!! I'm a roller when there is no one around.

    ReplyDelete