Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My 3 Favorite Vacation Spots

I would categorize myself as an avid traveler.  Some people spend their extra money on clothes, jewelry, cars, or home remodels, but I budget any extra bucks for travel.  Luckily Chris and I are on the same page here.  This is not to say we don't dress nicely or live in a nice house; but we prefer to enjoy traveling when we are young and strolling through life instead of waiting until retirement to begin.

When we lived in Los Angeles B.C. (before children), Chris flew on weekends about twice a month to keep his instrument and commercial licenses current.  One of those flights was generally for practice and the other was for a little trip.  It might have been a day trip, like to San Diego, or it could have been for the whole weekend to the San Francisco or Bryce Canyon.  We got in some fabulous weekend trips to many locations in Arizona, Utah, and California.  We even experienced flying over the Grand Canyon when planes were still allowed to.

When our boys were younger, our vacations were to a variety of places, but we tended to visit many National Parks, mostly out west, but some north and south too.  When they were in high school and college, I began organizing trips with an educational tour company (future blog entry...) and we traveled to many countries in Europe and even spent a day in Africa (Morocco) and Asia (Turkey).  To date, I have been to 42 US states, 13 European countries, 6 Canadian provinces, and Mexico.  My son would scold me for not including places like Morocco and Gibraltar, which don't count as countries...but you get the point.  

So, of all the places I have been, here are my top three favorites in no particular order:

A)  Florence, Italy - I have been to Florence three times and I am having withdrawal symptoms for my next trip there.  It's hard to explain, but the smallness of the center of Florence makes it feel more like a town than a city.  I love walking the windy old streets looking at the architecture of the homes and shops.  The Duomo (Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore) is the center of the center.  It is just one heck of an amazing architectural feat; you can sit inside for hours and marvel the whole time at new details.  One time when I was there for 4 days, I went to the 7am mass daily so that I could sit and soak in the beauty for an hour before the tourists crowded in.  Listening to the Italian language during mass was a plus.  

Florence is the pinnacle of Renaissance art.  Michelangelo's work is all around Florence, including the majestic statue of David in the Accademia Museum.  That’s another place I could sit for an hour.   The outdoor San Lorenzo market is bustling and extensive with fabulous restaurants lining nearby streets.  In short, this is a small town city I would love to have a second house or apartment in if I won the lottery.

B)  Sedona, Arizona – Coincidentally, I have also been to Sedona three times.  The third time we were there, Chris and I actually went to a real estate broker and looked at some houses; something we had never done on a vacation before.  Viewing Sedona’s breathtaking red rock formations provide an inner peace for me.  When life gets stressful at home, one of the two places I visualize for inner calmness is the scenery of Sedona.   It is an artsy town where shopping is fun and extensive.  You can take jeep tours over the rocks and up the cliffs, ride a hot air balloon over the formations, or walk one of the many trails that take you through the nooks and crannies of the area.  We have not ruled out Sedona as a retirement location.

C)  Driving the California Coast from top to bottom (Redwood Park to San Diego) – This choice is not exactly a ‘spot, but rather a popular scenic drive.  Whether you enjoy this road north or south, you are in for a real treat.  Since we used to live in Los Angeles, we have experienced this road several times, in different weather at various times of the day.  As a result, it was familiar yet new.  The northern highlight is Redwood State Park where the opening scene to the movie ET was filmed.  The trees are so wide and tall and you can even drive your car through a hole that was cut in the base of a tree. Talk about getting perspective.  Marin County and San Francisco provide unique scenes and places to stop and visit with quaint shops.  Monterey is another highlight.   Here you meander through the spectacular 17-Mile Drive, which includes the famous Pebble Beach Golf Course.  You can’t take your eyes off the aqua blue ocean as it continues south past the Big Sur coastline mesmerizing you along the way.  There are several high scenic bridges that you cross which are not for the faint at heart.  

Soon you get to San Luis Obispo and Moro Bay where you see the ‘big rock’ in the ocean.  Santa Barbara and its missions, Malibu and its surfers, Santa Monica and its pier, and funky Venice Beach are all interesting stops along the way.  Orange County’s Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach… all the way down to La Jolla north of San Diego.  I read recently that the residents in La Jolla wanted to force the sea lions off the beach so they could sunbathe, but I sure hope this has been straightened out.  There are too many wonderful beach communities to name them all, but the ocean waves along any of them would be the second place that I visualize for inner peace. 

So, as hard as it was to choose, those would be my 3 favorite spots.  I will post my runners up in another post.  What are your favorite vacation spots?

San Lorenzo Market with Medici Chapel in the background.
2005-View from on top of the Duomo looking down at Giotti's Bell Tower.

View of Florence's Duomo from Piazza Michelangelo.
That's Chris and me on the top of an arch that we hiked to with a view of Sedona in the background.
A prickly pear cactus in bloom with red rock formations behind.
Teapot Rock with the city of Sedona at its base.
Kevin being the clown he always is at Redwood National Park.
My least favorite part of the drive south of Big Sur...the tall narrow bridge!
Big Sur



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with the California coast, as I've been there many times. What can compare to Pt. Reyes, Carmel, and all those towns along the way?

    For me, I have to place Spiez, Locarno, and Lugano Switzerland (plus Evian, France) as way up in my top tier. Not to mention that travel by rail is so easy, not like in the United States.

    Great post again, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, I'm finally catching up on your blogs. We were in La Jolla in December and I'm happy to report that the seals are still there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear this Tina! I love La Jolla!!

    ReplyDelete