Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Running


How many of you are runners or former runners?  I am a member of the latter group.  Big time.  I used to run 36 miles a week for years, 6 miles a day with Sundays off.  During most of that time, the 1980s, I lived in Los Angeles, which explains the scheduling of the day off.  Since it almost never rains there, I actually had to force myself not to run one day a week to rest my body.  That is what the experts in the running magazines said was good practice.  When a holiday came round, I still got up at 5:30 am, ran, showered, and then went back to sleep. This way my running was done before it got too hot.  That is how addicted I was to running.

I didn't like running races much, but did a handful of 5 and 10Ks as well as one half-marathon (1 hour 48 minutes).  They were too stressful because as an athlete, I was too competitive.  As advised, I replaced my New Balance sneakers every 6 months like clockwork.  I followed all the tips from the previously mentioned experts to do the right things such as proper form and hydration.  

Fast forward 2 children and 20 years.  My six miles decreased to three miles, and then to fast walking.  Today I am faced with the reality of needing a total knee replacement.  I survived all those years of running, plus years of gymnastics (including in college) without any knee injuries.  So what happened to cause arthritis to set in?  Rewind backward to the running magazines.  They were all quite clear that proper form was to run 'heel-toe' which I mastered.  However, today the experts are saying, 

"...be sure to let your feet fall lightly, landing somewhere around the middle to the ball of your foot as it hits the ground. Once it lands, allow your foot to roll forward quickly, then push off your toes as you turn over your stride. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward for more power, and be sure the soles of your feet strike the ground evenly."

Well, no fair!  I want a do-over.  I did what the experts said, as did many others and now there is a whole generation of runners with knee problems.  I am young to be having a total knee replacement, as a matter of fact, one doctor who I tried to get an appointment with, rejected me because I am under 60.  (...and let me just clarify that I'm well under 60 ...) 

I am mentally adjusting to the upcoming surgery and getting a second opinion, but I know that I need it done.  I want to return to my active lifestyle, maybe not running, but at least hiking and yoga.  Right now my exercise regimen is non-existent and that needs to change.

I know I can't convince you not to run; you will say you are careful and doing it right.  That's what I said too.  I just hope that in 20 years the experts don't come out with yet another new discovery and you are blogging that you want a do-over.  


Would love to hear your running experiences with regards to your knees or whatever...

4 comments:

  1. Your blog made me think of a quote I heard in a song based off the article titled "Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young" written by Mary Schmich and published in the Chicago Tribune in 1997. It has a cute saying "be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone". As a once avid runner, now plagued by I.T. band issues and a packed schedule that barely allows time for sleep, I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck in recovery. I also must add that I am an avid yogi, a habit I developed when my knees failed me and I needed some kind of comfort for my bruised runner's soul :) It offers me a great night of sleep after every class and it is surprisingly a very rigorous mental and physical workout!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, I totally agree. I have gotten into yoga this last year and absolutely love it. It is indeed a great workout. Once I left my 19 year old son and his friends and told them I would be back after my yoga class. They were shocked when I came home soaking with sweat. It is great for mind and body. I love that saying about being kind to your knees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now people run barefoot, or with those funny shoes that have toes in them! What will they come up with next? I am too painfully aware of my knees as my weak point too.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our knees and hips bear the brunt of our existence. I guess that's why there are so many knee and hip replacements...Also, interesting that the medical field calls knee replacements TNR and not TKR...

    ReplyDelete