Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Old Toys

It’s fun to reminisce about toys you played with while growing up.  I like looking at old photos of Christmas mornings to see what toys were under the tree and which ones I remember playing with.  Few of my toys remain now, which is surprising because my father never threw anything away. But I understand how that happened, having gone through it with our boys.  When the toy is worn out or not used anymore, it gets donated somewhere or more likely tossed.  I have tried to save more of our boys’ toys in boxes in the attic. Here is what I do still have:

Sno-Man Sno-Cone Machine – This toy by Hasbro was a big hit because it made a sweet treat.  All you needed was a few ice cubes and a packet of their syrupy flavoring.  This kept us busy making our own snacks.  For some fun memories, here is a Sno-Man Sno Cone commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smHmoIGR2P8

My Nun Doll – Back when I attended St. Patrick’s School for grades 3-4, I remember the nuns taking us to the ‘store’ on special days where we could buy religious things.  I don’t remember much more than that, but I do have the nun doll to prove it.  I don’t have many memories of actually playing with it though; I guess she seemed too much like my nun teacher to actually have her do any fun things.

Penny Brite – Ok, so I don’t still have my Penny Brite doll… and that’s bothering me.  She was my favorite.  I also had her kitchen set, bedroom set, and her cool blue plastic car.  I had the carrying case and several of her outfits and accessories.  I used to love setting up all the furniture and playing with her.  I have checked my parents’ attic, asked my sister, and checked the boxes in my own attic in case my father packed it away and gave it to me years ago, but no luck.  Lately I have been thinking a lot about getting a Penny Brite doll.  I can’t really explain why.  I have been looking on eBay and am even contemplating placing a bid.  In a way I feel like that is cheating though, because it won’t be my Penny Brite. So why am I having this urge?  At my age, I am hardly nesting.  Neither of our sons has a girlfriend, so grandchildren are not in the near future.  Could I be regressing back to childhood?  Looking for a leisure time activity?  Ha!  I hardly have time to write this blog let alone play with dolls.  Where would I even set up the doll furniture?  I can’t explain it other than I guess it was a big part of my childhood that I want back. 
Does anyone remember Penny Brite?
Some other toys I have fond memories of playing with include: Operation, Slinky, Etch-a-Sketch, Mr. Potato Head, Gumby, Pick Up Sticks, Rock‘em Sock‘em Robots, Tinker Toys, Hula-Hoops, Pogo Sticks, Silly Putty, and Yo-yos.  What were some of your favorites growing up and do you still have them? 


2 comments:

  1. Now that I see the Penny Brite, I'm sure we didn't have that doll in our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda, so many memories you stir. I never considered myself a girly-girl growing up but thinking back I guess I was.

    I don't remember Penny Brite.

    Thumbelina was the love of my life growing up, I was truely in love with her. She had a knob on her back and when you turned it she would, as advertised, "move like a real baby." I clearly remember how heartbroken I was one night at bedtime when I realized I had left her outside at a friends house ... it was raining but my Dad walked there and got her for me, she had to sleep in front of the heater vent for a few days (which at the time seemed like an eternity)--Funny how clearly we can remember things and the intense emotions we felt at certain times in our lives.

    Thumbelina is the only thing that was kept from my childhood, she has been passed down to my first-born granddaughter--probably too soon as I'm quite sure she doesn't appreciate her, but that's ok I had this overwhelming need to give it to her, probably hoping she would have the same love and attachment to her--sadly for me, HER love is the American Girl Doll she got this year from Santa.

    I was also pretty fond of my Tressy doll--she had a button that you pushed and her hair would grow.

    Another one I took a liking to was my Kissy Doll--if you squeezed her arms together she would pucker up and kiss.

    Of course there was Barbie, Ken, Midge and Skipper.

    Something I remember clearly is a toy called "Shapies" -- they were plastic shapes that you could attach together and build things--no one I have spoken to over the years remembers this toy and I haven't been able to find any info--will have to do another Google search when I am finished here.

    To sum up, I have a vivid picture in my mind of skating down the sidewalk of Nepperhan Ave. in my metal roller skates with the key hanging on a ribbon around my neck.

    The Good 'Ol Days.

    ReplyDelete