Friday, January 13, 2012

Recurring Dreams


Have you ever had a recurring dream?  Is it a good or bad one? Do you have any idea why you keep dreaming it?  One of my recurring dreams puts me back in my high school hallway, unable to remember my locker combination.  When I finally figure it out and get what I need, my legs don't work.  I try to run to my next class and get there on time, but my legs only move in slow motion through the halls and up the stairs.  Invariably, I am late for class again...

I think one reason I have this dream is because of my need to be punctual.   I also want and expect others to be on time.    It bothers me when I have to wait for people beyond the normal few minutes ‘flex courtesy time’.  We all have busy lives and busy days.  I guess I just don't like when people doesn't value my time as much as theirs.  

Bells run my schedule, Monday through Friday.  It is definitely one of those professions where you always have to look at the clock.  How many minutes do I have left?  How many do I need?  How can I adjust?  I may have to end my lesson in 4 minutes, even if some kids need more time.  I may have 2 minutes to use the ladies room, even though I may need more time.  I have 23 minutes to eat lunch and call a few parents, even if my lunch takes 5 minutes to heat up.  There is not much room for error.  I can't be late for work or who would run my homeroom class?  I think the fact that this dream takes place in a school setting is no coincidence. 

I don't remember worrying about being on time for classes in high school or about forgetting my locker combination.  These were never a problem.  In my adult life however, I have been known to book too much in a day.  What might look do-able on paper, doesn't end up that way when the reality of other people running late, running into traffic, or other unanticipated problems throw a monkey wrench into even the best planned day.

Another recurring dream places me back in college.  Somehow the semester is almost over with finals looming the following week.  The problem is I didn't do any work yet.  I have books to read and papers to write and there is no way that it will all get done.  I wonder how the semester flew by so quickly.  Perhaps the theme is similar here: time management.  But anyone who knows me knows that I am probably a model example of someone with amazing time management skills.  I manage to fit a tremendous amount into my days.

A slight variation to that college dream has to do with driving to school and back.  In the dream, the college is 7 hours form my house and I have to keep driving back and forth.  I can’t really tell you why, but it has to be done.  Again, is my sub-conscious trying to bring to my attention that I may be cramming too much into my schedule?  My life?  I want to live life to the fullest and experience as much as I can.  I guess I thrive a little bit on being busy, but are my dreams a way of telling me to slow down a little?

 Do you have any recurring dreams you would like to share?

1 comment:

  1. I have the same 'not being able to move' dream (with a few changes) and I am the same way. I don't like to be late at all and I am usually one of the first ones to my classes.

    ReplyDelete