Saturday, December 31, 2011

Literally, My Two Cents...

Coins; you can't live with them and you can't live without them.  How do you handle your coins?  Do you put them in a jar?  Furiously try to 'get rid of them' in every cash register's presence?  Leave them as tips in jars?  Throw them in fountains?

I tend to do the first; store them in a jar.  Then, from time to time, I get the urge to roll then.  Like yesterday.  Chris stopped at the bank to get more paper rollers for all denominations because like most American families, we ran out.  In my spare time (he he), I sprawled out on the bed with my mound of metal.  Counting, checking, piling, rolling... very therapeutic actually.  When all was said and done, I had $21 in neat bundles.  What will I do with those neat bundles?  Probably give them to my college son.

But that is not the point of this entry.  What surprised me most was my two cents.  Out of 600 pennies rolled, two were wheat pennies.  Now don't get me wrong, these are not the first wheat pennies I have come across.  I have lots of them stored in yet another container.  What is somewhat interesting is that the 1940 penny found last night has been circulating for 71 years and has escaped the hand of a collector.  It just goes to show you how some people pay no mind to coins.  The second penny was a 1957, the year before they stopped making them.  Wheat coins were minted from 1909 - 1958.

So, as this year rolls out and the new one seeps in, take  time to smell the roses and check the coins.  You may be surprised at what you see.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, congratulations on your new blog! Good luck with your ideas...maybe your first novel will evolve from these topics, you never know.
    About wheat cents...some can garner up to $1500! Kennedy half dollars can be 8 X their face value. You, indeed, may be surprised at what's in that jar.

    ReplyDelete