Thursday, December 29, 2011

Free Time

Like students, teachers count down the days until their next vacation too.  This does not mean that we don't love our jobs; it means that like everyone else, we like free time with family and friends.  It is true that I lead a crazy hectic life: a full time teaching job with English papers to grade, president of an active non-profit organization, tutoring after school...  So why is it that as soon as I have all this free time without a vacation planned, I am lost in an abyss of hours leading into days leading into more days?

Don't get me wrong, I love my free time.  However, even though I crave it, it does interrupt the flow of a routine.  Sometimes there is a project to work on, but other times there is not more than a mere errand or two that I need to stretch into the day's activity.  Now that my husband and I are empty-nesters (that term alone is fuel for a future blog...), my days are not driven by our boys' activities. 

One thing that I don't mind changing in my routine though, is sleeping in.  Fortunately I am still one of those lucky individuals who can sleep like a teenager, when given a room without a set alarm clock.  So after my long hours of slumber, leisurely cup of tea, and catching up on news and emails, now what? 

I can't help it; I am a creature of a schedule.  If you know me, you know I do well with schedules.  They are predictable and comforting, although of course depending on the schedule of events, they can of course be annoying too.  But a schedule leads you through the day and when finished, you get to enjoy a small amount of free time.  That I can handle.  A little dinner, TV, social time...

So here I am facing days of free time with no trips or large projects planned.  My photo albums are organized and up to date.  Bills paid.  Papers graded.  If I were my mother, I would clean all day, but that will never happen.  I would love to go to a movie or to lunch with a friend, but ironically, because I was so busy leading up to vacation, I didn't make any plans.  Maybe I will luck out with a spontaneous date with a friend for one of the former mentioned ideas.  Until then, here I sit in my comfy jammies sipping my tea, finding comfort in my new free time activity...my blog!

Let me know if you want to do lunch or a movie...

3 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with relaxing in your pjs sipping some tea. It's a little pamper time for "me". I do that quiet a bit these days! It clears my head and relaxes me. Think of it as therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a scheduler. Now that I've returned to work I find that my schedule is too long and day too short. Enjoy your time off. Read a good book. Also give your secret out as to how you can sleep in.
    I'm usually up by 5:30 AM during the week, on the weekend I'm luckly to be able to sleep to 7:00 AM. Of course having Jessica bark in my ear doesn't help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the secret is to run yourself down...

    ReplyDelete