Saturday, February 18, 2012

Are Knee Surgeries on the Rise?

How many of you know someone who has had a knee replacement? Or perhaps you are the recipient of one yourself. It seems that we hear more and more about this type of surgery, so it prompted me to think about why it ‘seems’ to be on the rise.

First, it is possible that those hearing more about them are people whose age is approaching the time when people they know are having them. When I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled, it seemed like so many people I knew were also getting them pulled. But quite frankly, most of the people I knew were of that age when it is common to get them pulled. When I was pregnant…same thing. Many friends and acquaintances seemed to be having babies too. So it could be that the company we keep is nearing or of the age where this is a needed surgery.

Science and technology improve every year. Many procedures and surgeries that used to be rare or less common have advanced to the point where they are easier, safer, and more accessible to the public. Many have heard that knee replacements last only 10 years. I asked a knee surgeon about that and he explained that about 10 years ago there was one company that was using a material that was only lasting 10 years. The other manufacturers produce parts that have a ‘life expectancy’ of 20-30 years in a majority of recipients. Of course it will vary based on what you do with your knee and how well you take care of yourself. For example, will you go back to running marathons or will you switch to brisk walking instead? Will you put yourself back in a catcher’s mask or now swim laps? After going through a knee replacement, people have choices to make based on what they want to do with their lives. Those choices affect the wear and tear on their bodies, whether they are the original or replacement parts.

Another great improvement is that some surgeons are now doing what is referred to as a ‘less invasive’ procedure. With this, the incision is 4-5 inches instead of 10-12. Half the cutting means less muscle bothered and half the recovery time.

In addition to the elderly, it seems that many baby boomers, defined now as those in their late 40s to early 60s, also seem to be having knee replacement surgeries. I believe baby boomers tend to do what they need to do to get what they want. The attitude is not to wait for more advances in the procedure because you can never catch up. There will always be improvements. The attitude is more why not do it now so that I can continue to enjoy the quality of my life? What benefit would there be to continue to wait? Pain? Limited activities? Increased chances of falling?

Now I find myself, a baby boomer by definition, in the same boat. I have always been an athlete and enjoyed a life with many sports. I started as a gymnast for 10 years and then I became an avid runner. During those next 10 years I ran 36 miles per week on the hard streets of Los Angeles. After children, I cut my mileage in half, but the pounding on my knees continued for years. I am proud to say I had great running form because I read lots of running magazines. Proper form included positioning of your head, your shoulders, how you swung your arms, and how you landed on your feet. What many may not realize is that running “heel first, then roll on to your toe” was the proper form that was preached for years. Now experts realize that landing on your heel first is indeed not good for your knees. The result is that there is now a whole generation of runners with knees that are shot, and I am one of them.

So what am I to do? I have already been putting off the procedure for 4 years. During those 4 years the sports and activities I am able to do has decreased to zero. I am in pain every day. So why on earth would I continue to wait? I still consider myself young, having just celebrated my 55th birthday a few weeks ago. I am sure this surgery will continue to improve as all science and technology does, but for now, this is a tremendous improvement. With luck this new knee will last me 30 years, if God grants me the time. If I’m lucky enough to get more, then I will cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime, I will enjoy the next 30 years of my life with a brand new beautiful knee!

1 comment:

  1. Very informative and helpful post indeed.It is really a big help. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    knee surgeon los angeles

    ReplyDelete