Saturday, February 23, 2013

Delicate Arch


One of the most spectacular natural arches I have experienced is Delicate Arch.  Located in Arches National Park in Utah, it is one of the most photographed natural wonders of the world.  Utah even sports it on its license plate.  To get up close and personal to it, you have to hike a three-mile loop over a rocky surface.  I hiked it alone … here’s why.

The year was 1989, the month September.  We were about one week into our cross-country journey, moving from Los Angeles to New York.  We had our first son with us, at the ripe old age of 17 months.  As we planned the 24-day journey, we tried to find a nice location where we would be on the day of our 4th wedding anniversary.  Arches National Park ended up being that place. 
We entered the park and were greeted by the impressive Three Sisters formation. Further in we arrived just in time to secure the last open camping site.  After setting up the tent, the three of us took a two-mile hike to Landscape Arch.  We stopped along the way at Tunnel Arch to enjoy a picnic lunch.  
The majestic Three Sisters formation greets visitors at the entrance of Arches National Park.
All we needed for our picnic was a spot of shade.
Our campsite was private, serene, and spectacular!

Later that afternoon, we wanted to hike to the famous Delicate Arch, but knew the little guy wouldn’t be able to do another long hike, especially a longer one with slick rock surfaces.  So we opted for shifts.

My husband hiked first.  When he returned, I turned child duty over to him and set off on the three-mile journey.  Although it started on a wide dirt path, a slick rock surface came next with a 500-foot gain in elevation. This part of the trail was adequately marked with cairns, which are small piles of stone formations used as markers.  All I had to do was keep looking for the next pile to be sure I was following the right path.  Since it was now later in the day, my estimated time of return would be right around dinnertime.  I would hate to go astray and be lost in a desert abyss of rocks and arches, beautiful as they were.

No one else seemed to be hiking towards the arch at the same time I was, so I seemed to be on my own.  There were a few cairns that were confusing, but before long I seemed to be nearing the top.  This is where the rock path surface narrowed to a width of about three feet, complete with a sheer, steep drop off.  I had to stay focused on the trail and not the golden sunlight amplifying the desert and canyon views. 

All the waiting and walking paid off as I turned a corner and finally embarked upon the most magnificent sight, which remained hidden until the end.  It is hard to explain just how majestic the arch really was.  It loomed about 60 feet up toward the clouds.  I just stood and stared, taking it all in for the first few minutes. 

To my comfort, there were other people at the arch, mingling around its base or sitting and reveling in the peacefulness of the moment.  Some, like me, were also trying to capture a photographic memory.  The sun was fairly low in the sky, bringing the vivid red rock color to life.  Unfortunately, scanning our slides to digital images lost a lot of the fiery red color.
Other visitors relaxing under the arch, being careful not to roll off one side or the other.
I was careful as I walked around the base of the arch, from end to end, because next to the arch was a natural bowl-shaped rock amphitheater formation, delving perhaps a few hundred feet down. Picture a sculptor creating a deep, round clay bowl.  Now widen the top, keep the rim lines, and paint it red.  If I fell or rolled in, I am not sure how I would manage my way of the slippery rock surface.  This made for delicate walking around the top rim area, no pun intended. 

Looking into the 'bowl'.
This was such a peaceful and beautiful experience that I wanted to stay there for a much longer time than I did.  However, since I didn’t want to hike back alone in the dark merely hoping to spot the cairns, I set back after about an hour.  I arrived to our campsite happy and in time to enjoy our macaroni anniversary dinner around the campfire.  This was a very special anniversary indeed.  
Although Chris had the earlier shift while the sun was higher in the sky,
he stopped the aperture down to F22 to create this starburst effect.
Our tent at night taken with a long exposure, making the stars look like shooting stars.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos. Have only been to Brianhead Utah, but love driving through Utah and seeing the different rock formations. Does your son have any memories of this camping trip?

    ReplyDelete