Saturday, March 2, 2013

Have You Seen My Brain?


Have you seen my brain?  I used to know where it was at all times, tucked neatly between my hair and my chin.  It was reliable and always there for me.  So what, may I ask, have I done to scare it away?

I used to be the most reliable person I knew.  I was punctual and even a few minutes early to any appointment.  I always wrote things down and never missed meeting or appointments.  I was so reliable that sometimes I drove myself nuts.  However, I can’t say this has been the case in the last 12 months.

Lest you think middle age has set in and is what has affected my brain lately, I would like to discuss three possible theories for the missing brain.  First of all, I had surgery one year ago.  Major surgery.  Total knee replacement surgery.  While I don’t think my wonderful surgeon took a detour to my brain while sawing into my knee, I do believe that the anesthesia could have long lasting effects.  This long?  I don’t know, but it is part of my first theory.  Even though I have been off the pain meds associated with the surgery for a long long time; who knows what the effects of that is too? 

The next part of Theory Number One is that I was home recovering for three months, backed up to a two month summer vacation.  Never in my life have I not worked for five months.  Although it was not a ‘vacation’, I did settle into a sort of semi-retirement mode.  Some days my main goal was to shower and do my exercises.  Other more ambitious days may have included a trip to the food store.  All of a sudden, time wasn’t important.  I didn’t even really need to wear my watch.  (Gasp!)  When I did have an appointment to go to, it was stressful to get there on time.  I came to resent the clock.

But the main part of Theory Number One was that I only had one responsibility, not 21.  My accountability was to my knee and myself.  That became my top priority.  The responsibilities of my job, running a non-profit organization, and keeping up with household chores were delegated to others.  I think that once you slow down, it is hard to gear back up. That is why many times when I am on a roll cleaning, grading papers, or running around town doing errands, I do not stop until I am finished, because if I slow down, I go into relaxation mode and then it is all downhill from there.

If you are not buying into Theory Number One as the demise of my lost brain, let me offer Theory Number Two.  My Smartphone.  You may remember a past blog while I wrestled with whether to get one or not; I know my friend Jack remembers the blog well.  Shortly after my surgery, well within the year that my brain has been missing, I decided to retire my flip phone and join the rest of the world with my use of a Smartphone.  With so much time on my hands, I even went to not one, but two classes on how to use it at the local Verizon store in the mall. 

One of the cool features of the Smartphone was its calendar.  How awesome was it to book my next physical therapy appointment before I left the current session, without having to go home and look at a calendar?  I had all the information at my fingertips.  I quickly became addicted and checked my Smartphone calendar each morning to see what was in store for me that day.  The problem arose when my husband insisted I also write things on the paper calendar.  This was always our treated as our Family Bible for events.  If it wasn’t written down, then it wasn’t happening...

The problem was when I returned to real life after five months, I floundered between trying to keep up with using both methods.  Some things got recorded on one place and not the other.  Depending which I consulted in the morning, that could be a problem..

There is one other theory, which is my addiction to Spider Solitaire.  It is a mindless, relaxing game.  I now believe its addiction could possibly eat away at your brain cells.  Hence, Theory Number Three.   Just one more game…just one more game that I win…ok this really will be my last game…  How many of you will admit to being addicted to this or another similar game?  My brain could be spending hours a week doing more productive things, but there may be some validity to Theory Number Three.

I miss having my brain with me in full force 24/7.  I am not sure what has contributed to its AWOL status.  But when you are out and about this week, if you see it in Starbucks, the mall, or hiking in the woods, can you give me a call on my Smartphone?

5 comments:

  1. Well I'm not sure about the knee theory. Rosemary just got her knee done. You'll need to see if she lost her brain too, and if so then that would corroborate your theory. I'm trying to prevent losing my brain. Joined this website called "Lumosity" and was actually in tears today from frustration at trying to think of all the words that begin with "sun". Course the game times you and I could only think of like 8. Then I go to the dictionary and see all the ones I SHOULD have thought of so I feel like an ignoramus not remembering those. I work the website to increase my brain power, but really wonder if it's doing any good. Games like that one can totally deflate any semblance of ego I have remaining. But the good news is that I sat down at the piano after a 10 year hiatus and actually remembered how to play! Those neuronal connections hadn't been lost, Just not tapped into for awhile! So my advice is to review and renew. Review the old and renew with fresh new challenges. And I'm a lot smarter than my parents were at my age, and so far I'm still smarter than my kids. At least I think so! THanks for the blog Linda! Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnne (Appelian) DuffyMarch 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

    I hear it all to often - 'I am forgetting more and more things; could this be early dementia?' It could, but not likely. Linda, I think you touched on a few important things. For one,the smart phone. And there's the computer, the internet. How many 'face book friends' post their latest achievements with an internet game they play with their other 'face book' friends. I wonder how many young families today actually sit down together after dinner on a Friday or Saturday night and play a board game or card game? I fear our society is leaning more towards 'doing it alone.' Playing games, education (on line) vs in a classroom, communication with text messaging instead of old fashioned telephone. I am amazed when I see a family on vacation or out to dinner and everyone seems to be busy on their own smartphone. Oblivious to their surroundings.
    I do believe CNS medication side effects short and long lasting, have an effect on our brain. And I also believe lack of 'human interaction' plays a role on cognition. Linda, I don't think there is anything medically wrong, your brain is in a good place. But like every part of the human body, the brain needs stimulation. Real stimulation of the human type. We are all in a similar place in life where our children have grown, lives of their own, waiting for grandchildren if they haven't already arrived. Maybe more get togethers with friends and family, group activities, taking an education or exercise class, interaction with our peers will keep the brain from running amok. If I am rambling it's because it is early and I haven't had my cup of java to start the brain fuctioning, or maybe, I too, have a missing brain~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack !!!! I just wrote you a whole big post and it vanished! I'll write more later
    Sue Given

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'll try again, here goes...
    About 9 years ago I was out of work for 9 months due to a virus in my heart, and it took me 2-3 years to get back to full time (due to physical constraints). Even with that long of a time period to re-adjust, it was difficult. Heck, I go away for one week and going back to work is difficult. I am realizing that it's more a matter (for ME) of trying to return to a very complex routine ... once I'm in the routine it becomes easier to stay there, but I've realized just how much it is that I do and am responsible for. I think that's true for a lot of us.
    I used to be able to clean my house in a morning, now I'm lucky if I can accomplish that in a weekend. Multi-tasking is becoming increasingly harder (although I can still multi-task circles around my husband).
    Also, as a health care professional I know that we all acknowledge that the mind has an effect on the body, but it works the other way around... the body can effect the mind. Illness, injury, pain, etc. can muddle up the way we think/remember. Which could be another factor in being more forgetful.
    I work with people in their homes, seems to me the more isolated someone is, the more cognitive problems he/she can have. Stimulation seems to be crucial...people who are active and engaged with family/friends/neighbors/the world and are using their minds are normally much better off. I happen to think human contact is important, but for some people, the internet is also a good source for interaction. Sometimes games like crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, cards, video games, etc. are GOOD stimulation, even though they are solitary. There is an excellent book (I've forgotten the name, lol, and will try to look it up) about a researcher who studied dementia with a group of nuns... very interesting reading!
    I do agree with the fact that it is easy to waste time at the computer, or doing things. I am also realizing the benefits of doing nothing from time to time! Unfortunately , I don't spend enough time doing that...
    Sue Given

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ! "Aging With Grace" by David Snowdon

    ReplyDelete