Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pick your battles


I am sure that all of you would like to make the world a better place.  If it were up to you, everyone would listen to your opinions, beliefs, and wishes.  After all, even though your opinion is your opinion, you obviously feel it is the right one or you would change it.  However, unless you want to be in a state of conflict your entire life, you have to learn to pick and choose your battles.
Let’s run through a fictitious but possible day.  You start off with a pit stop to your favorite coffee watering hole on the way to work.  Someone ‘steals’ the parking spot you were waiting for.  You want to get out of your car and yell at them that you were waiting for that spot.  You want to secretly key their car after they enter the coffee store.  But you do neither.  You enter the café, in line after them, and let it go.  Of course your mind races through what you want to do, but you take the high road.  This is not the battle you choose to start your day.

Back in your car, you proceed to work.  You are stopped at a traffic light and the guy in the car behind you keeps honking his horn.  You check the light but see it is still red.  You are in a straight OR right turn lane.  You happen to be going straight, so you can’t proceed.  It’s obvious Mr. Impatient is turning right.  You want to get out of your car, walk back, and educate him, but it is not worth the effort because the light will turn green while you are arguing with him.  So you move on.

Yes, these are little scenarios, but ones that you consciously or unconsciously choose to let go.  What about some slightly bigger ones?  Let’s say you don’t agree with something your boss says or does.  Okay, let me rephrase that; you don’t agree with many things your boss says or does.  But if you value your job, you can’t choose all of them to call him on, even though you know you are right.  You need to pick the one that most impacts your life at work, act on that one, and let the rest go.  After all, that’s what co-workers and lunch breaks are for, to release your frustrations to others who understand.

What about family life?  As partners in a relationship, roommates, children, or parents, you could probably spend the better part of your day battling or correcting others.  You want justice to prevail in situations where someone has been wronged. In my opinion, our need to battle others is the strongest when we are protecting our children or loved ones.

I was fortunate enough to learn this lesson early in my parenting life.  I refer to this as the Yo-Yo Story.  Our younger son had a fancy new yo-yo he brought to school when he was in 3rd grade.  He was in early for school for some reason or another; I really don’t remember that part.  But the kids had to wait in the front hallway before school began.  When he got home from school that day he was upset that an older boy took his yo-yo to try out, and when the bell rang for school to start, the yo-yo was not returned to him. 
 Clearly upset, I reacted.  The next morning, I went in to talk to the principal.  I relayed the yo-yo injustice play-by-play.  New yo-yo, his indoor recess toy gone, older boy, no right to steal it  She listened politely, and then quietly told me I needed to start to pick and choose my battles.  Those were not her exact words, but she basically told me I needed to back off even though I thought it was unfair that my son lost his new yo-yo by an older boy.  I couldn’t keep up with every injustice an 8 year-old experiences.  Life was not fair and I needed to let the smaller things go.

I knew I was a protective Mama Bear, but I guess I didn’t realize how much so until a professional fellow educator whom I respected, had the guts to give it to me straight.  I am sure it was not easy for her, given that I am a teacher as well as a parent.  But she said what needed to be said, and it was a break through for me.  

(Just an aside…today that would be labeled as ‘bullying’ and the boy would be found and reprimanded…ok, now I will let it go!)

I used her advice as life went on.  Raising two sons provided such joy but it also had its teachable moments.  I referred back to the principal’s advice and made conscious decisions which battles to choose.  Length of hair?  No.  Time of day they did their homework?  No.  Snide remarks made in a heated state?  Hard one, but usually no.  When it came to the important stuff, the boys knew it was important and they would be held to task, even with their ifs, ands, and buts.

During parent teacher conferences, I often share the suggestion for parents to pick and choose their battles.  Perhaps it doesn’t really matter if they don’t read 30 minutes at night anymore if they are getting an A in English.  Maybe it is ok that they do their homework with music playing if they always have it done completely, correctly, and on time.  I agree that their handwriting is atrocious, but if I can read it, then let me be the bad guy who tells them to re-write it.  Parents can battle all day long, but that is not a formula for a good relationship with their child.

So as you go about your day today, why not make a mental note of the battles that you pick and the ones you let go.  Are you picking too many?  Not enough?  The right ones?  Only you can say.  But conflict brings stress and anxiety and we can all use less of that.  Report back if you have any revelations.


5 comments:

  1. I let most things go. I assume the other person just doesn't notice what they are doing. Like if they take my parking space, I figure it's because they just weren't paying attention. I'm sure I've done the same thing somewhere along the way. No harm, no foul.

    But I draw the line are rudeness. If someone takes my parking space and then gives me finger, as happened to me once, showing that the person knew exactly what they were doing, well that's when they wish they never met me. In that particular case I was waiting for a car to pull out from in front of my apartment building in NYC. But as soon as the car pulled out, another car came racing around behind me and zoomed into the slot. I rolled down my window and politely explained I had been waiting. Thus the finger.

    I found another space and retreated to my apartment until well after midnight. Then I gathered up all my old condiments that had been sitting in my fridge for the last few years. There must have been a dozen old jars of crusty mustard, and soured horseradish, and red dye #2 brand cherries in a heavy and sticky syrup. That kind of stuff. I emptied the contents all over the guy's car windows. I took particular joy in smearing some stale peanut butter surreptitiously under the door handles. No way he could open the car doors without sticking his fingers in that gooey mess.

    Just a little public service message to remind rude people that they need to change their attitude.

    I did choose to fight that one battle, and I think I won...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    While I understand the "pick your battles" mantra, I find it to be the sort of thinking that has harmed our young people in the past couple of decades. I can't help but cross-reference the story in this week's Ridgefield Press where a father chronicles his son's addiction to drugs:

    "(The father) learned that one problem is that 'we all love our kids so we enable them, we look the other way on certain things. This shows me not to enable him. The only way he’s going to get better is if I don’t enable him.'

    "He said to me he started his senior year. This was the OxyContin. He dabbled in it when he was in ninth grade, and then he stayed away from it. Then, really from his junior and sophomore years he didn’t do that much. Then his senior year he did it strongly and it was a stressful year. And I didn’t see it.

    “To tell you the truth, it took another son of mine to say, ‘He looks like he’s been taking drugs.’ I was blind. I thought maybe he’s had a drink or two, and I let that go. I shouldn’t have let that go. I enabled, that’s what I did.”

    We enable our children when we carry the "pick your battles" thinking too far. We have parents who choose not to pick the battle of neglected homework, drinking, marijuana use, etc. These battles need picking.

    Our children sleep in our homes every day. When we choose not to battle over something that "everyone else does" or "mommy and daddy did when they were young," under the guise of picking our battles, we do great, sometimes irreparable, harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I agree with you completely. Good parenting means choosing the battles that keep our children safe and healthy. Those are the battles we should NOT let go...the ones that need to be chosen, to quote me (lol) "When it came to the important stuff, the boys knew it was important and they would be held to task, even with their ifs, ands, and buts."

      Constant battling about other little things all day long can ruin relationships though, not only parent-child relationships, but partners, roommates, employer-employee, friends, etc. Not to mention living in a state of stress all the time is not good for anyone. My point was perhaps to choose not to fight all the 'yo-yo' battles (the toothpaste battle, the toilet seat battle, the fold your towels this-way-not-that-way battle) so as not to be in a state of battle all day long when we can let some things go.

      Thanks for weighing in!

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda,
    I finally caught up on reading your blog posts and had to comment on this one. I agree with both you and Joe. I feel that the battle line has been shifted way too far by too many parents (making it harder for those of us who want to keep the battle line firmly in place). Today's parents are choosing not to pick enough battles. Perhaps out of laziness, "making it easier", wanting to be "liked" by their kids, or total lack of parenting skills. I know we can't nag them about every small thing, but we need to stand firm more often. If we don't, we run the risk of further demise as a society. If we lower our standards, we will all pay the price in the long run.
    - Ellen Sicinski (a battle picking mom most of the time)

    ReplyDelete