Saturday, September 1, 2012

Carry-on Luggage

Airlines have been revising many aspects of their business lately.  Whether it is how many ounces of liquid allowed on the plane or whether passengers are charged for meals or a first suitcase, the rules have been changing.  One aspect that has not changed is the ability to bring carry-on luggage into the seating area with you.  Another thing that has not changed is how people abuse this privilege.

Although airlines do vary with specifics, most of them allow one small carry-on bag per person as long as it fits comfortably in the overhead bin without being forced and does not exceed certain dimensions, generally around 22” x 14” x 9”.  They also allow one personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop bag, tote, or other item of the same general size that can fit under the seat in front of you. 

Of course additional necessary items for some people such as a wheelchair, cane, stroller, or car seat don’t count towards this allowance and are permitted in addition. 

I do understand reasons why people try to cram all their travel needs into the plane with them.  It eliminates the need to wait for late arriving luggage and it eliminates the possibility of lost luggage.  I get that.  But putting your own needs before the needs of others who pay the same price for their ticket is what I don't agree with.

I have watched time and time again as people enter the plane with more than the allowance.  Much more.  They stuff all their items in the overhead bin, taking up more than the space allotted for their seat.  The problem is that when people board after them and there is no more space in the overhead bins, their carry-on luggage has to be checked.  Fair?  I think not.

The problem starts with the airline not enforcing the rules.  Let’s begin at the check-in counter.  At the same time the employee of the airline weighs and tags the checked suitcase, he can also glimpse at the carry-ons left in the traveler’s arms.  If they are too big or there are too many, the traveler should be asked to check them right then and there.

If the employee at the check-in counter misses the opportunity to enforce the regulations, then there is a second chance to catch it when the abuser actually boards the plane.  At that time, they can be asked to step aside and check the overage as other rule-followers board in front of them. 

Until the airlines enforce their own rules, it is left up to the conscience of the traveler.  It is just a pet-peeve when I see someone stow two carry-on suitcases and personal items, then subsequently watch as someone following the rules who boards later, ends up getting the short end of the stick. 


4 comments:

  1. Ditto! I had a passenger ask me to remove my small carryon bag from the bin that was across from me (my side was already full) because my bag was in "his space" Like there are allotted spaces for your carryon bags! I ended up putting my bag way far away from my seat because there was no space around me, and that's difficult to retrieve when you get off the plane.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the extra carry on baggage also contributes to delayed departures.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totaly agree with you on this one. I remember one flight I took where a lady had 4 bags to carry on. These were not small bags, but large bags which are designed to be checked in. On top of that this flight was packed due to my and others original flight being cancelled, due to weather. I was amazed this person would even try to carry on some of the suitcases she had. I was able to find a place for my one carry on bag,others who were behind me were not.

    I also agree with Bill, due to this flight being packed and so many people having extra carryon bags the stewardess had to have some bags sent to cargo below. Which caused this flight to leave late.

    ReplyDelete