Saturday, December 1, 2012

How Music Can Affect You

There are many things in life that can have an effect on your mood.  The actions of other people rank right up there with the ability to impact you either positively or negatively.  Your health or the health of a person close to you can also influence how you feel.  Bad decisions, the stress of employment or lack thereof, bad drivers, and a lack of chocolate in your life can all have a bearing on your mood.  But today’s post is not going to be that deep.  Whether you realize it or not, music can definitely alter your mood.  Many people take music for granted, especially young people.  You don't even realize how often music is playing in the background until it isn't.
-->
How many times have you found yourself in your car alone, and a song came on the radio that made you either belt out the lyrics or even just tap your feet?  Perhaps it brought you back to another time…your high school or college years, a special event where that song was played, or in your own room playing that song over and over again?  You love that song for whatever reason and you react to it, physically and emotionally. There are many songs that snap me to action.  My hands start drumming the steering wheel, my feet tap the floorboard, and my voice tries to mimic the singer’s.  Of course if you are conservative like I am, you might reign in your rocking body when you get to a stop light with another car by your side.  And let's not even go to holding fake microphones or shower singing...

Let’s face it, there are some tedious tasks that we all must do.  Take cleaning the house.  It’s just one of those things that has to be done.  Most times I plow through the chore as my mind organizes my day or I just talk to myself.  However, it always seems to amaze me when I come home to my husband doing some mundane job like organizing the basement, clearing off the deck, or even raking leaves.  He takes the time to pipe some music to where he is to make it more enjoyable.  I love this idea, but never seem to take the time to do it when I do my tasks.

This got me thinking about Melanie Griffith in the movie Working Girl.  Do you remember the famous scene where she was vacuuming?  Music was blasting as she cleaned the rug, in a way only she could pull off.   Let’s leave it at that.

Music is so integrated into your daily lives.  You rely on music to relax and stay happy.  You use it to make a long commute enjoyable.  Some of you go as far as assuring you have your music ready to play on your phone or ipod.   You want to be in a certain frame of mind and having your set playlist facilitates this goal.  Music helps regulate your mood.

Think of the times you have heard live music.  It may have been a large concert at Madison Square Garden or a small concert at your child’s school.  Either one probably, or at least usually, resulted in a positive experience for you.  Seeing your favorite band in person is a fantastic experience.  Hearing the songs live while watching the actual musicians performing is exponentially better than any CD recording.  And for those of us who have sat through the annual third grade concert with the same recorder songs presented year after year, we were still filled with pride and joy at another child participating in the experience.  Music brightens the soul, sets the mood, and creates anchors for future memories.

Last night, our town held its annual Holiday Stroll.  RMAC, the non-profit organization that I head, provided live music by local students in the heart of downtown Ridgefield.  The sound of the music drew passersby to the tent.  Their smiles and tapping feet definitely showed how much they enjoyed the music and how it affected their mood in a positive way.
Her smiling face says it all, as she performed live for RMAC last night.
-->
Music can make you sad too.  Certain songs bring back nostalgic or just bad memories.  When that happens to me, I quickly change the station.  I don’t try to let music bring me down.  Music has this extraordinary force that can impact our spirit. 

Although there will be lots of holiday music playing on the radio this week which can be repetitive, try to focus on music for the next few days and see what it can do to your feelings and attitude toward your daily life.  Go ahead and tap away, screech out the tune, rock your head from side to side, and enjoy!
Watching these two grow up (the one on the left is mine; the one on the right a former student), develop as musicians, proceed to Berklee College of Music, and perform at many venues, has been an experience that has kept a smile on my face.

3 comments:

  1. What I love most about music is how it brings me back to certain times in my life (sometimes to places I didn't want to go back to!). I have satellite radio in my car and almost always have it tuned to "Classic Vinyl" or "Classic Rewind", two stations that play classic rock from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I know I'm dating myself, but in my opinion, that's when music WAS music, and bands sounded the same live as they did on the radio. No special technolgy to make singers appear to be able to sing when we know they really can't (that's right, Britney Spears, Janet Jackson and Ashley Simpson, I'm talking about you!). Anyway, when I hear a song from back in the day, I can clearly associate it to a time or event in my life. For example, when I hear Led Zeppelin's "School Days", it makes me think about Linda cheating off me in high school english class. My taste in music has changed many times over the years, but I always seem to come back to my musical roots. I don't know, maybe I'm trying to trick myself into thinking I'm not getting older. I've even got my 12 year old son rocking to the likes of Pink Floyd, Zeppelin and Jethro Tull. Not that he has a choice....my car, my station. Well, that's all I wanted to say. I think I'll listen to Supertramps's "Breakfast in America" and go have a bagel now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At work we started a list of our favorite "traveling" songs (mostly for driving). Could start a list here in your blog of songs that make us happy and then we can all share the playlist ;-D I'll kick it off with a few ... "Knock Three Times" (might not be the official title?); James Taylor's "Up on the Roof"; and I'll admit it ... "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is what brings us all together. I agree with Mike the musicians of the 60's,70's and some of the 80's need no special effects. If I'm not listening to a book on CD, I've got Led Zepplin, U2, Billy Joel,etc playing. Jethro Tull puts on a great concert. Makes comuting/housework/yardwork seem to go quickly.

    ReplyDelete