Saturday, August 11, 2012

Welcome Dinner in Italy

When you think of Italy, what comes to mind?  Beautiful scenery, the melodic language, the Renaissance, gorgeous ceramics, old churches, amazing architecture, limoncello, art, the autostrada (highway), very old buildings, leather, the Alps, more churches, the sea…?  I am sure many if not all these items come to mind, but admit it, the food would top your list.

After spending our first week on this trip touring in the North, we ate at several mediocre restaurants.  Granted we were in tourist spots in the lakes region and the Riviera, but as my son tried to put it in perspective for me, he said to think of it like being in the Adirondacks of New York.  In any case, yesterday we arrived at the home of my cousin, who is a doctor, and were treated to a wonderful ‘light’ supper starting around 8:00pm.  Focus on the word starting.  First came a big bowl of delicious fusilli pasta with a light homemade tomato sauce and fresh Parmesan.  After discussing truffles, my cousin fetched a big hunk of one made by a grateful patient, and he proceeded to grate some on top of the pasta. Naturally some homemade wine called Aglianico, typical from the area of Benevento, filled our glasses, given to him by another thankful patient.   Although I don’t really drink much any more, I could not pass up wine in Italy.  It was a smooth red that went down too easily.

Our bowls emptied quickly, and then came another clean dish, which we filled with scrumptious green olives, home made carciofi, bruschetta with eggplant and artichokes, cheese ­­­­with tartufo, fresh bread, and a salad with melt-in-your-mouth tomatoes.  They have a dressing here called aceto balsamico from Moderna.  You can put it on more than just the salad and we did.  It seemed to go well with many tastes.  While savoring all these amazing foods, a second bottle of wine was opened, and I partook even more. The expression is “Riempi il bicchier che è vuoto, vuota il bicchier che è pieno, non lo lasciar mai pieno non lo lasciar mai vuoto” which means when the glass is empty you fill it and when it is full, you empty it.  In other words, you always have to drink, therefore… the second bottle.  Just when we thought we were done, out came a plate of freshly cooked sausages to end the ‘light’ supper.

As we sat back and sighed with total contentment, out came a bowl of fresh fruit and an ice cream dessert with raspberries.  Naturally we needed something to drink with that, so a bottle of Grappa appeared and yes, it was homemade by yet another appreciative patient.  To accompany the Grappa for those of us not inclined to finish the meal with a 40% alcohol beverage, there was ­­­­Passito di Zibibbo from Sicilia.  Again, for me, the non-drinker, it was delicious and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

As my husband sliced up a fresh peach, it was suggested he drop it in his wine glass and let it sit for a bit.  This tradition I know from my father and grandparents.  After retrieving it with a fork, he enjoyed its sweet taste infused with wine flavor.  Our taste receptor cells had worked overtime and were now settling back to savor the entire experience.  Not only was there fantastic food, but the company of family, the exchange of Italian and English, and the laughter made the evening one for the books. 

As I sit here early in the morning, waiting for everyone else to awaken, I wonder what is in store for us today, not only for our taste buds, but also for our camera lenses and our souls.  In any case, I am grateful for my family in Italy, grateful because we are able to travel and be in the land of my roots, and grateful for the appreciative patients of my cousin.  Ciao for now!
We were totally involved in the meal, and so sorry to say I didn't take a photo of any of it! 

6 comments:

  1. I hate you!! ;-) Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's lasagna reminded me of grandma's...unbelievable! (sorry!)

      Delete
  2. Mu kids always think of their nonno, whenever they have peach in wine. They used to line up with their glass in hand and wait for him to slice the peaches. Enjoy Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a meal, now I'm hungry. Enjoy your vacation. Post pictures, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful opportunity ... being able to visit with family across the miles! Very nice - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete